Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Why New Haven Sucks.

My little collab with a couple of amazing musicians for a talent show was dismantled. For the past three days I did everything in my effort to make this song happen. The song we (meaning the band and I) were planning on playing was FCPREMIX by The Fall of Troy. 
Last Saturday I was asking the RA's who to go to to request equipment. I asked Tyler, and he suggested talking to Denise for requests. I asked Denise if it was possible to get a PA system and she wrote the request down and yea..
So up to this point I believe it was set. 
The "band" consisted of me (bass), Jordan (drummer), David (singer), and Matt (guitarist).
We have to sign a slip in order to get into the school music room, and go through the trouble of organizing a time for everyone to practice. We do this for three days straight. 5+ hours of practice time, for just one song. I am not going to be cocky or elitist, but all of us were amazing at our instruments/jobs. We were able to pull a cover of FCPREMIX that is pretty damn good.
Tonight was the night of the talent show. This is where it all goes down the shitter. We help Jordan lug his drum kit through the rain and wind, to New Hall (our dorm). He lives in Bixler (a different dorm) which is a good trek, carrying a drum set. Dave, Matt and I help Jordan with his drumkit to New Hall. We were all wet from the rain and tired from carrying the somewhat heavy metal pieces. The show was supposed to start at 6:30 in the first floor lounge of New Hall. It was 6:20 and a PA system was nowhere in sight, nor was the furniture moved in ANY way. 

This was clearly a very bad predicament which led to many conclusions.

The time was 6:30 and then this other RA (Maria) basically shat on all our efforts. On top of that, there was this black guy who was a member of the Music Club, but has graduated from UNH. He says, "I graduated from here and was a member of the music club, and I came out to help Maria today, since I know what you guys want/do."

As soon as sign ups begin....

I ask, "So......There is no PA even though I asked for one 3 days prior to this?"
Maria responds, "Nope, this is a bring your own equipment kind of show."
I quickly snap back saying, "Yea, it's completely logical that a resident here would have a PA system in his or her room." Maria says nothing.
Matt also says repeatedly during my snap, "This is fucking ridiculous."

This was all openly stated, there was no whispering or mumbling. There was anger, and we wanted them to know.

I basically lost it at this point and flipped a shit. I say this is a loud voice:
"This is a SHITSHOW. a FUCKING shitshow, Mr. president of the music club here can't even get a fucking PA. This is a shitshow, one BIG shitshow." 

I tried everything within my power to make this song happen.
I got the slips to get into the music room, I went out of my way three fucking days in advance to request an item that supposedly we were going to get if we asked for it.
Now comes a person who shits on OUR efforts as a group to make this song sound as badass as possible and probably blow everything out of the fucking water. Everything meaning the repetitive acoustic songs that are played. Every music showcase has been overrun with acoustic guitars and sad/deep lyrics. There was an actual full band aka Jordan, Matt, Dave, and I. that prepared a good amount just to entertain and play a song that is on Guitar Hero.
I had every right to flip a shit. Considering I ran around in a complete circle finding out and asking for a PA system. 

I am extremely bothered at how amazing each of us were in this collaboration and our efforts were basically foiled. I feel that we all do deserve to be showcased in some shape or form. We are not full of ourselves, we just recognized each others ability to play our instruments were excellent compared to the casual, normal, average player.

In the end, we decided to bag the whole thing and not play. It was the biggest disappointment I have ever felt in my life. All this effort thrown down a flight of stairs and trampled on. 
And it was my god damn birthday. SHITTY BIRTHDAY.

PS - Nothing against acoustic musicians, we just wanted to bring something new to the table.

Sentence of the Day: This talent show is a fucking shitshow.

No comments: